PMID: 736653Dec 1, 1978Paper

A new nonpenetrating ballistic injury

Annals of Surgery
A W Carroll, C A Soderstrom

Abstract

A new, nonpenetrating ballistic injury mechanism involving individuals protected by soft body armor is described. Experimental studies using laboratory animals have demonstrated that despite stopping missile penetration, the heart, liver, spleen, and spinal cord are vulnerable to injury. The rapid jolting force of an impacting bullet is contrasted with the usually encountered mechanisms producing blunt trauma injury. The experimental methodology used to assess a 20% increase in survival probability and an 80% decrease in the need for surgical intervention with a new soft body armor is reviewed. Five cases of ballistic assaults on law enforcement personnel protected by soft body armor are presented. Four emphasize the potentially lifesaving qualities of the armor, while the fifth indicates the need for torso encircling design. Hospitalization should follow all assaults, regardless of the innocuous appearance of the skin lesion and the apparent well being on the assaulted individual. Therapeutic guidelines for patient management are suggested.

References

May 1, 1975·Annals of Surgery·J W JonesT Drapanas
Nov 1, 1973·The Journal of Trauma·M L TrollopeC F Frey
Jan 1, 1970·The Journal of Trauma·E J Cerise, J H Scully
Feb 1, 1971·The Journal of Trauma·E BlairJ H Davis
May 1, 1968·Archives of Surgery·T SchrockC Mathewson
Jun 1, 1958·Circulation·L F PARMLEYE J JAHNKE
Feb 1, 1965·Annals of Surgery·R N MCCLELLAND, T SHIRES

❮ Previous
Next ❯

Citations

Oct 11, 2011·International Journal of Legal Medicine·Sebastian N KunzOliver Peschel
Aug 19, 2007·The Journal of Trauma·Dan DrobinB Thomas Kjellström
Dec 17, 2009·The Journal of Trauma·Anders SondénUlf P Arborelius
Feb 12, 1983·British Medical Journal·J Bancewicz, D Yates
May 31, 2013·Journal of the Royal Army Medical Corps·Johno BreezeA E Hepper
Jul 22, 2014·Journal of Forensic Sciences·Karin A RafaelsCameron R Dale Bass
Oct 3, 2008·Medical Hypotheses·A C Courtney, M W Courtney
Dec 22, 2005·IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics. Part B, Cybernetics : a Publication of the IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society·Ian LeeW French Anderson
Dec 1, 1986·Annals of Emergency Medicine·Y Y Phillips
Jan 4, 2013·Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering·Mehdi Salimi JaziMariusz Ziejewski
Nov 15, 2013·Journal of the Royal Army Medical Corps·Debra J CarrC Malbon
Nov 14, 1997·The Journal of Trauma·K T DoddJ R Morris
Apr 20, 2001·Journal of the Royal Army Medical Corps·L Cannon
Apr 20, 2021·Forensic Science International : Synergy·Shaomin LuoJuan Li

❮ Previous
Next ❯

Related Concepts

Trending Feeds

COVID-19

Coronaviruses encompass a large family of viruses that cause the common cold as well as more serious diseases, such as the ongoing outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19; formally known as 2019-nCoV). Coronaviruses can spread from animals to humans; symptoms include fever, cough, shortness of breath, and breathing difficulties; in more severe cases, infection can lead to death. This feed covers recent research on COVID-19.

Blastomycosis

Blastomycosis fungal infections spread through inhaling Blastomyces dermatitidis spores. Discover the latest research on blastomycosis fungal infections here.

Nuclear Pore Complex in ALS/FTD

Alterations in nucleocytoplasmic transport, controlled by the nuclear pore complex, may be involved in the pathomechanism underlying multiple neurodegenerative diseases including Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Frontotemporal Dementia. Here is the latest research on the nuclear pore complex in ALS and FTD.

Applications of Molecular Barcoding

The concept of molecular barcoding is that each original DNA or RNA molecule is attached to a unique sequence barcode. Sequence reads having different barcodes represent different original molecules, while sequence reads having the same barcode are results of PCR duplication from one original molecule. Discover the latest research on molecular barcoding here.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Chronic fatigue syndrome is a disease characterized by unexplained disabling fatigue; the pathology of which is incompletely understood. Discover the latest research on chronic fatigue syndrome here.

Evolution of Pluripotency

Pluripotency refers to the ability of a cell to develop into three primary germ cell layers of the embryo. This feed focuses on the mechanisms that underlie the evolution of pluripotency. Here is the latest research.

Position Effect Variegation

Position Effect Variagation occurs when a gene is inactivated due to its positioning near heterochromatic regions within a chromosome. Discover the latest research on Position Effect Variagation here.

STING Receptor Agonists

Stimulator of IFN genes (STING) are a group of transmembrane proteins that are involved in the induction of type I interferon that is important in the innate immune response. The stimulation of STING has been an active area of research in the treatment of cancer and infectious diseases. Here is the latest research on STING receptor agonists.

Microbicide

Microbicides are products that can be applied to vaginal or rectal mucosal surfaces with the goal of preventing, or at least significantly reducing, the transmission of sexually transmitted infections. Here is the latest research on microbicides.