Dec 7, 2018

Analysis of the 4q35 chromatin organization reveals distinct long-range interactions in patients affected with Facio-Scapulo-Humeral Dystrophy.

BioRxiv : the Preprint Server for Biology
Marie-Cecile GaillardJerome Robin

Abstract

Facio-Scapulo Humeral dystrophy (FSHD) is the third most common myopathy, affecting 1 amongst 10,000 individuals (FSHD1, OMIM #158900). This autosomal dominant pathology is associated in 95% of cases with genetic and epigenetic alterations in the subtelomeric region at the extremity of the long arm of chromosome 4 (q arm). A large proportion of the remaining 5% of cases carry a mutation in the SMCHD1 gene (FSHD2, OMIM #158901). Here, we explored the 3D organization of the 4q35 locus by three-dimensions DNA in situ fluorescent hybridization (3D-FISH) in primary cells isolated from patients. We found that D4Z4 contractions and/or SMCHD1 mutations impact the spatial organization of the 4q35 region and trigger changes in the expression of different genes. Changes in gene expression was corroborated in muscle biopsies suggesting that long distance interaction modulate expression of a number of genes at the 4q35 locus in FSHD. Using induced pluripotent stem cells (hIPSC), we examined if chromatin organization is inherited or acquired during differentiation. Our data suggest that folding of the 4q35 region is modified upon differentiation. These results together with previous findings highlight the role of the D4Z4 repeat in the organ...Continue Reading

  • References
  • Citations

References

  • We're still populating references for this paper, please check back later.
  • References
  • Citations

Citations

  • This paper may not have been cited yet.

Mentioned in this Paper

Fluorescent in Situ Hybridization
D4Z4 BINDING ELEMENT TRANSCRIPT, NONCODING
SMCHD1 gene
Pluripotent Stem Cells
1-octyl-3-methylimidazolium tetrafluoroborate
Genes
Three-dimensional
Nucleic Acid Hybridization Procedure
Transcription, Genetic
Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells

About this Paper

Related Feeds

BioRxiv & MedRxiv Preprints

BioRxiv and MedRxiv are the preprint servers for biology and health sciences respectively, operated by Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. Here are the latest preprint articles (which are not peer-reviewed) from BioRxiv and MedRxiv.

Related Papers

Current Opinion in Genetics & Development
Lucia DaxingerSilvère M van der Maarel
Handbook of Clinical Neurology
Rabi Tawil
American Journal of Medical Genetics. Part a
Dimitri RenardSabrina Sacconi
© 2020 Meta ULC. All rights reserved