Combined cisplatin and carboplatin chemotherapy for treatment of advanced epithelial ovarian cancer

Gynecologic Oncology
D M GershensonJ T Wharton

Abstract

The primary goal of this trial was to evaluate the clinical activity and the toxicity of a combination of cisplatin and carboplatin for women with advanced-stage epithelial ovarian cancer. Fifty-one consecutive evaluable patients with untreated stage III and IV epithelial ovarian cancer received 360 mg/m2 carboplatin on Day 1 and 50 mg/m2 cisplatin on Day 2 administered intravenously every 28 days for six cycles. Drug doses were adjusted for hematologic toxicity based on nadir counts during the prior therapy course. Dose levels included 300-400 mg/m2 carboplatin and 50-75 mg/m2 cisplatin. Second-look surgery was optional. Endpoints were clinical response, surgical response, progression-free survival, and survival. Of 8 patients with measurable disease, 3 (37.5%) had a clinical compete response, and 3 (37.5%) had a clinical partial response, for an overall clinical response rate of 75%. Of 39 patients who began chemotherapy with abnormal serum levels of CA 125, 31 (79%) achieved normalization of CA 125 at the completion of chemotherapy. Thirteen patients underwent second-look laparotomy. Of these, 7 (54%) had a pathological compete response, and 2 (15%) had a partial response. The median progression-free survival was 14 months, ...Continue Reading

Citations

Mar 10, 2001·International Journal of Gynecological Cancer : Official Journal of the International Gynecological Cancer Society·M. SuzukiI. Sato
Mar 1, 2002·Journal of Clinical Oncology : Official Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology·Robert E BristowFredrick J Montz
Aug 13, 2011·The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews·Ahmed ElattarRaj Naik
Jun 29, 2012·Oncology Letters·Satoshi IchigoAtsushi Imai

Related Concepts

Trending Feeds

COVID-19

Coronaviruses encompass a large family of viruses that cause the common cold as well as more serious diseases, such as the ongoing outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19; formally known as 2019-nCoV). Coronaviruses can spread from animals to humans; symptoms include fever, cough, shortness of breath, and breathing difficulties; in more severe cases, infection can lead to death. This feed covers recent research on COVID-19.

STING Receptor Agonists

Stimulator of IFN genes (STING) are a group of transmembrane proteins that are involved in the induction of type I interferon that is important in the innate immune response. The stimulation of STING has been an active area of research in the treatment of cancer and infectious diseases. Here is the latest research on STING receptor agonists.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Chronic fatigue syndrome is a disease characterized by unexplained disabling fatigue; the pathology of which is incompletely understood. Discover the latest research on chronic fatigue syndrome here.

Hereditary Sensory Autonomic Neuropathy

Hereditary Sensory Autonomic Neuropathies are a group of inherited neurodegenerative disorders characterized clinically by loss of sensation and autonomic dysfunction. Here is the latest research on these neuropathies.

Spatio-Temporal Regulation of DNA Repair

DNA repair is a complex process regulated by several different classes of enzymes, including ligases, endonucleases, and polymerases. This feed focuses on the spatial and temporal regulation that accompanies DNA damage signaling and repair enzymes and processes.

Glut1 Deficiency

Glut1 deficiency, an autosomal dominant, genetic metabolic disorder associated with a deficiency of GLUT1, the protein that transports glucose across the blood brain barrier, is characterized by mental and motor developmental delays and infantile seizures. Follow the latest research on Glut1 deficiency with this feed.

Separation Anxiety

Separation anxiety is a type of anxiety disorder that involves excessive distress and anxiety with separation. This may include separation from places or people to which they have a strong emotional connection with. It often affects children more than adults. Here is the latest research on separation anxiety.

KIF1A Associated Neurological Disorder

KIF1A associated neurological disorder (KAND) is a rare neurodegenerative condition caused by mutations in the KIF1A gene. KAND may present with a wide range and severity of symptoms including stiff or weak leg muscles, low muscle tone, a lack of muscle coordination and balance, and intellectual disability. Find the latest research on KAND here.

Regulation of Vocal-Motor Plasticity

Dopaminergic projections to the basal ganglia and nucleus accumbens shape the learning and plasticity of motivated behaviors across species including the regulation of vocal-motor plasticity and performance in songbirds. Discover the latest research on the regulation of vocal-motor plasticity here.