Cyclophosphamide, adriamycin, 5-fluorouracil and high-dose toremifene for patients with advanced/recurrent breast cancer. The Japan Toremifene Cooperative Study Group

Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology
T TominagaM Ogawa

Abstract

Multi-combination chemotherapy consisting of anthracyclines has been effective but has not invariably prolonged the survival period in advanced/recurrent breast cancer. The possibility has been discussed that chemoendocrine therapy combined with endocrine agents is more effective. In order to evaluate the toxicity and efficacy of a new endocrine therapy for advanced/recurrent breast cancer, we ran a pilot study during the period from July 1994 to July 1996. Twenty-two patients with advanced/recurrent breast cancer were treated with chemoendocrine therapy consisting of cyclophosphamide (100 mg/body) p.o. daily for 14 days, with adriamycin (40 mg/m2) i.v. and 5-fluorouracil (500 mg/body) i.v. on day 1 (repeated every 3 weeks for 9 weeks) (CAF therapy), and high-dose toremifene (120 mg/body) p.o. daily. Of 20 evaluable patients, two showed complete response (10%), eight partial response (40%), six no change (30%) and four progressive disease (20%). The overall response rate was 50%, and the median duration of response was 69.5 days (28-133+ days). The major toxicities were drug-induced alopecia, gastrointestinal toxicity and hematological toxicity, but these were clinically well tolerated. No serious cardiac, liver or renal sympto...Continue Reading

Related Concepts

Pegase 02 Regimen
Antineoplastic Chemotherapy Protocols
Mammary Neoplasms, Human
Cyclophosphamide, (S)-Isomer
Adriamycin
Drug Administration Schedule
Estrogen Antagonists
5-FU medac
Neoplasm Recurrence, Local
Toremifene, (E)-Isomer

Trending Feeds

COVID-19

Coronaviruses encompass a large family of viruses that cause the common cold as well as more serious diseases, such as the ongoing outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19; formally known as 2019-nCoV). Coronaviruses can spread from animals to humans; symptoms include fever, cough, shortness of breath, and breathing difficulties; in more severe cases, infection can lead to death. This feed covers recent research on COVID-19.

Alzheimer's Disease: MS4A

Variants within the membrane-spanning 4-domains subfamily A (MS4A) gene cluster have recently been implicated in Alzheimer's disease in genome-wide association studies. Here is the latest research on Alzheimer's disease and MS4A.

Pediculosis pubis

Pediculosis pubis is a disease caused by a parasitic insect known as Pthirus pubis, which infests human pubic hair, as well as other areas with hair including eye lashes. Here is the latest research.

Rh Isoimmunization

Rh isoimmunization is a potentially preventable condition that occasionally is associated with significant perinatal morbidity or mortality. Discover the latest research on Rh Isoimmunization here.

Genetic Screens in iPSC-derived Brain Cells

Genetic screening is a critical tool that can be employed to define and understand gene function and interaction. This feed focuses on genetic screens conducted using induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC)-derived brain cells. It also follows CRISPR-Cas9 approaches to generating genetic mutants as a means of understanding the effect of genetics on phenotype.

Enzyme Evolution

This feed focuses on molecular models of enzyme evolution and new approaches (such as adaptive laboratory evolution) to metabolic engineering of microorganisms. Here is the latest research.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Chronic fatigue syndrome is a disease characterized by unexplained disabling fatigue; the pathology of which is incompletely understood. Discover the latest research on chronic fatigue syndrome here.

Pharmacology of Proteinopathies

This feed focuses on the pharmacology of proteinopathies - diseases in which proteins abnormally aggregate (i.e. Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, etc.). Discover the latest research in this field with this feed.

Alignment-free Sequence Analysis Tools

Alignment-free sequence analyses have been applied to problems ranging from whole-genome phylogeny to the classification of protein families, identification of horizontally transferred genes, and detection of recombined sequences. Here is the latest research.