PMID: 8331690May 1, 1993

Effect of dietary protein and sulfur-containing amino acids on urinary metabolites in rats injected with chlorobenzene

The Journal of Toxicological Sciences
H GotoN Nakazono

Abstract

Rats were fed for 10 days a 10 or 20% casein diet, or the diets with 0.3% DL-methionine or L-cystine. Rats fed the 20% casein exceeded those fed the 10% casein in growth, hepatic glutathione (GSH) levels, and microsomal drug-metabolizing activities including cytochrome P-450, aminopyrine N-demethylase, and aniline hydroxylase. Supplement with methionine or cystine had significantly elevated hepatic GSH, regardless of the casein content. After the feeding, rats were intraperitoneally injected with chlorobenzene (0.5 mmol/kg body weight), and the urinary metabolites (4-chlorophenylmercapturic acid (4-CPMA), 2-, 3- and 4-chlorophenol (CPs), 4-chlorocatechol (4-CC), and 2-, 3- and 4-chlorophenylmethylsulfide (CPMSs) ) were measured for 24 hours post-injection. Rats fed the 20% casein exceeded those fed the 10% casein in 4-CPMA, CPs, and in total urinary metabolites. Supplement with methionine or cystine to the 10% casein significantly increased 4-CPMA and decreased 4-CC. Supplement with methionine or cystine to the 20% casein also significantly increased 4-CPMA excretion, but had no effect on urinary 4-CC. The highest urinary excretion of CPMSs was observed in rats fed the 10% casein. Both increase of dietary protein and addition o...Continue Reading

Citations

Jun 1, 1996·Experimental and Toxicologic Pathology : Official Journal of the Gesellschaft Für Toxikologische Pathologie·A Plewka, M Kamiński

Related Concepts

Chlorobenzene
Amino Acids, Sulfur
Veterinary Nutritional Physiology
Casein A
Chlorobenzenes
Copper Cystinate
Cytochrome P-450 Oxygenase
Diet
Dietary Proteins
Reduced Glutathione

Trending Feeds

COVID-19

Coronaviruses encompass a large family of viruses that cause the common cold as well as more serious diseases, such as the ongoing outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19; formally known as 2019-nCoV). Coronaviruses can spread from animals to humans; symptoms include fever, cough, shortness of breath, and breathing difficulties; in more severe cases, infection can lead to death. This feed covers recent research on COVID-19.

Genetic Screens in iPSC-derived Brain Cells

Genetic screening is a critical tool that can be employed to define and understand gene function and interaction. This feed focuses on genetic screens conducted using induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC)-derived brain cells. It also follows CRISPR-Cas9 approaches to generating genetic mutants as a means of understanding the effect of genetics on phenotype.

Alzheimer's Disease: MS4A

Variants within the membrane-spanning 4-domains subfamily A (MS4A) gene cluster have recently been implicated in Alzheimer's disease in genome-wide association studies. Here is the latest research on Alzheimer's disease and MS4A.

Pediculosis pubis

Pediculosis pubis is a disease caused by a parasitic insect known as Pthirus pubis, which infests human pubic hair, as well as other areas with hair including eye lashes. Here is the latest research.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Chronic fatigue syndrome is a disease characterized by unexplained disabling fatigue; the pathology of which is incompletely understood. Discover the latest research on chronic fatigue syndrome here.

Rh Isoimmunization

Rh isoimmunization is a potentially preventable condition that occasionally is associated with significant perinatal morbidity or mortality. Discover the latest research on Rh Isoimmunization here.

Pharmacology of Proteinopathies

This feed focuses on the pharmacology of proteinopathies - diseases in which proteins abnormally aggregate (i.e. Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, etc.). Discover the latest research in this field with this feed.

Enzyme Evolution

This feed focuses on molecular models of enzyme evolution and new approaches (such as adaptive laboratory evolution) to metabolic engineering of microorganisms. Here is the latest research.

Alignment-free Sequence Analysis Tools

Alignment-free sequence analyses have been applied to problems ranging from whole-genome phylogeny to the classification of protein families, identification of horizontally transferred genes, and detection of recombined sequences. Here is the latest research.