Jun 1, 1996

Evaluation of the autonomic cardiovascular response in Arnold-Chiari deformities and cough syncope syndrome

Archives of Neurology
P D IrelandB Goldstein

Abstract

To study the autonomic control of heart rate in patients with Arnold-Chiari deformity types I and II who exhibit the signs and symptoms of cough syncope syndrome. Prospective, clinical descriptive study. University clinical research center. Nine patients with Arnold-Chiari deformity and cough syncope syndrome. None. Changes in heart rate, blood pressure, and electrocardiograms for power spectral analysis of heart rate variability were studied in the supine and standing positions, preoperatively (n = 9) and postoperatively (n = 5). Preoperatively, 8 (89%) of 9 patients increased their heart rate after postural change from supine to standing (mean +/- SD delta = 13 +/- 13 beats per minute [bpm]). Postoperatively, 4 (80%) of the 5 patients exhibited a greater increase in standing heart rate (mean delta = 19 +/- 16 bpm) compared with preoperative values. Changes in systolic, diastolic, and mean blood pressure with postural change were variable. Preoperatively, all patients exhibited abnormal control of heart rate in response to postural change. Three patients (33%) showed an abnormal decrease in low-frequency heart rate power (mean delta = -27 +/- 35 bpm2); the remaining 6 (67%) demonstrated an abnormal increase in high-frequency h...Continue Reading

  • References
  • Citations6

References

  • We're still populating references for this paper, please check back later.
  • References
  • Citations6

Citations

Mentioned in this Paper

Syncope, Tussive
Coughing
Diastolic Blood Pressure
Etiology
Cardiovascular Diseases
Teens
Signal Processing, Digital
Congenital Central Hypoventilation
Blood Pressure
Signs and Symptoms

Trending Feeds

COVID-19

Coronaviruses encompass a large family of viruses that cause the common cold as well as more serious diseases, such as the ongoing outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19; formally known as 2019-nCoV). Coronaviruses can spread from animals to humans; symptoms include fever, cough, shortness of breath, and breathing difficulties; in more severe cases, infection can lead to death. This feed covers recent research on COVID-19.

Bone Marrow Neoplasms

Bone Marrow Neoplasms are cancers that occur in the bone marrow. Discover the latest research on Bone Marrow Neoplasms here.

IGA Glomerulonephritis

IgA glomerulonephritis is a chronic form of glomerulonephritis characterized by deposits of predominantly Iimmunoglobin A in the mesangial area. Discover the latest research on IgA glomerulonephritis here.

Cryogenic Electron Microscopy

Cryogenic electron microscopy (Cryo-EM) allows the determination of biological macromolecules and their assemblies at a near-atomic resolution. Here is the latest research.

STING Receptor Agonists

Stimulator of IFN genes (STING) are a group of transmembrane proteins that are involved in the induction of type I interferon that is important in the innate immune response. The stimulation of STING has been an active area of research in the treatment of cancer and infectious diseases. Here is the latest research on STING receptor agonists.

LRRK2 & Immunity During Infection

Mutations in the LRRK2 gene are a risk-factor for developing Parkinson’s disease. However, LRRK2 has been shown to function as a central regulator of vesicular trafficking, infection, immunity, and inflammation. Here is the latest research on the role of this kinase on immunity during infection.

Antiphospholipid Syndrome

Antiphospholipid syndrome or antiphospholipid antibody syndrome (APS or APLS), is an autoimmune, hypercoagulable state caused by the presence of antibodies directed against phospholipids.

Meningococcal Myelitis

Meningococcal myelitis is characterized by inflammation and myelin damage to the meninges and spinal cord. Discover the latest research on meningococcal myelitis here.

Alzheimer's Disease: MS4A

Variants within membrane-spanning 4-domains subfamily A (MS4A) gene cluster have recently been implicated in Alzheimer's disease by recent genome-wide association studies. Here is the latest research.