False positive diagnosis in conventional and liquid-based cervical specimens

Acta Cytologica
Sharon MountGladwyn Leiman

Abstract

To examine conventional and liquid-based cervical smears falsely diagnosed as malignant at our institution and to investigate, through cytologic-histologic correlation, factors influencing false positive diagnoses. Cervical cytologic diagnoses of malignancy from May 1, 1995, to April 30, 2001, were retrieved through a computer search. A retrospective review of hospital records and pathology reports was performed. Cases identified as false positives were reviewed and correlated with histologic follow-up specimens. A group of 68 patients with malignancy reported on cervical smears and with histologic follow-up was identified. Conventional smears numbered 32 (47%); the remaining 36 (53%) were liquid-based samples. Of the total, 7 false positive cases (10.3%) were identified in 4 conventional and 3 liquid-based preparations. Cytologic diagnosis in these cases was squamous cell carcinoma in 5 and adenocarcinoma in 2. On histologic follow-up, all 7 patients were ultimately found to have high grade squamous intraepithelial lesions (HSILs) without invasion. Review of the original slides confirmed most, or all, of the following features in all cases: major cellular pleomorphism, extensive cytoplasmic keratinization, intense nuclear pykn...Continue Reading

Citations

Aug 25, 2004·Cytopathology : Official Journal of the British Society for Clinical Cytology·C A Waddell
Aug 2, 2006·Cytopathology : Official Journal of the British Society for Clinical Cytology·B KirschnerJ Junge
Jun 29, 2017·Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology : the Journal of the Institute of Obstetrics and Gynaecology·Flávia Regina Peixoto PereiraMarco Aurélio Pinho de Oliveira
Aug 1, 2020·Journal of the American Society of Cytopathology : JASC·Vanda F Torous, Martha B Pitman

Related Concepts

Carcinoma, Cribriform
Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Cervix Carcinoma
Cytodiagnosis
Differential Diagnosis
False Positive Reactions
Retrospective Studies
Specimen Collection
Pap Smear

Related Feeds

Carcinoma, Squamous Cell

Basal cell carcinoma is a form of malignant skin cancer found on the head and neck regions and has low rates of metastasis. Discover the latest research on basal cell carcinoma here.