Feb 5, 2002

Frequency of isolation of Staphylococcus lugdunensis in consecutive urine cultures and relationship to urinary tract infection

Journal of Clinical Microbiology
D T HaileF R Cockerill

Abstract

Recent reports associate Staphylococcus lugdunensis with severe infection in humans. The frequency of this microorganism in urine cultures is unknown. Five hundred isolates of coagulase-negative staphylococci (CoNS) were recovered from 4,652 consecutive urine specimens submitted for culture to the Mayo Clinic Microbiology Laboratory. Thirty-one (6%) of 500 isolates of CoNS were identified as S. lugdunensis. In no case was S. lugdunensis isolated in pure culture; 29 (94%) of 31 S. lugdunensis isolates were part of mixed nonpathogenic flora. Medical records were reviewed for 30 of the 31 patients from whom these 31 isolates were isolated. Twenty-one (70%) of the 30 evaluable patients were not treated with antibiotics; the remaining 9 (30%) of 30 patients were treated with antibiotics that may be effective against S. lugdunensis. S. lugdunensis may be an unrecognized yet infrequent cause of urinary tract infection.

  • References9
  • Citations18

References

  • References9
  • Citations18

Citations

Mentioned in this Paper

Microorganism
Staphylocoagulase
Urine
Antibiotic throat preparations
Antifungal Antibiotics, Topical
Urinary Tract Infection
Genus staphylococcus
Staphylococcal Infections
Laboratories; Clinical Medical Laboratory
Bikinia le-testui

Related Feeds

Antifungals

An antifungal, also known as an antimycotic medication, is a pharmaceutical fungicide or fungistatic used to treat and prevent mycosis such as athlete's foot, ringworm, candidiasis, cryptococcal meningitis, and others. Discover the latest research on antifungals here.

Antifungals (ASM)

An antifungal, also known as an antimycotic medication, is a pharmaceutical fungicide or fungistatic used to treat and prevent mycosis such as athlete's foot, ringworm, candidiasis, cryptococcal meningitis, and others. Discover the latest research on antifungals here.

CRISPR & Staphylococcus

CRISPR-Cas system enables the editing of genes to create or correct mutations. Staphylococci are associated with life-threatening infections in hospitals, as well as the community. Here is the latest research on how CRISPR-Cas system can be used for treatment of Staphylococcal infections.

Related Papers

European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases : Official Publication of the European Society of Clinical Microbiology
S GianellaR Speich
European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases : Official Publication of the European Society of Clinical Microbiology
B LinaJ Etienne
Postgraduate Medical Journal
N FarragG M Viagappan
Clinical Infectious Diseases : an Official Publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America
Richard Bellamy, Timothy Barkham
© 2020 Meta ULC. All rights reserved