Aug 24, 2018

Human Age Prediction Based on DNA Methylation Using a Gradient Boosting Regressor

Genes
Xingyan LiYan Xu

Abstract

All tissues of organisms will become old as time goes on. In recent years, epigenetic investigations have found that there is a close correlation between DNA methylation and aging. With the development of DNA methylation research, a quantitative statistical relationship between DNA methylation and different ages was established based on the change rule of methylation with age, it is then possible to predict the age of individuals. All the data in this work were retrieved from the Illumina HumanMethylation BeadChip platform (27K or 450K). We analyzed 16 sets of healthy samples and 9 sets of diseased samples. The healthy samples included a total of 1899 publicly available blood samples (0⁻103 years old) and the diseased samples included 2395 blood samples. Six age-related CpG sites were selected through calculating Pearson correlation coefficients between age and DNA methylation values. We built a gradient boosting regressor model for these age-related CpG sites. 70% of the data was randomly selected as training data and the other 30% as independent data in each dataset for 25 runs in total. In the training dataset, the healthy samples showed that the correlation between predicted age and DNA methylation was 0.97, and the mean ab...Continue Reading

Mentioned in this Paper

Research in General
Biological Markers
DNA Methylation [PE]
Research
Protein Methylation
Saliva - SpecimenType
Menopause
DNA Methylation
Medical Devices
Total Tissue

Related Feeds

Genetics & Epigenetics of Aging

This feed focuses on the genetics and epigenetics of aging. Discover the latest research here.

Cell Aging (Keystone)

This feed focuses on cellular aging with emphasis on the mitochondria, autophagy, and metabolic processes associated with aging and longevity. Here is the latest research on cell aging.

Cell Aging

This feed focuses on cellular aging with emphasis on the mitochondria, autophagy, and metabolic processes associated with aging and longevity. Here is the latest research on cell aging.

Aging Genetics (Keystone)

This feed focuses on aging epidemiology and genetic, epigenetic, and proteomic aspects underlying aging, as well as aging- associated biomarkers. Here the latest research in this domain.