PMID: 11707654Nov 15, 2001Paper

Phase I-II study of neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy followed by radical surgery in locally advanced cervical cancer

Anti-cancer Drugs
H TsudaK Yamamoto

Abstract

The usefulness of neoadjuvant chemotherapy (NAC) regimens has been reported; however, the effect of NAC for advanced stages (especially stage III-IVA) is thought to be insufficient. We conducted a phase I-II study of neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy consisting of intra-arterial (i.a.) infusion of carboplatin and intracavitary brachytherapy in patients with locally advanced cervical cancer to achieve the new NAC method. Sixteen eligible patients included those with previously untreated stage IIB, III or IVA cancer with bulky tumor. Brachytherapy using iridium-192 was performed with concurrent i.a. chemotherapy with carboplatin (200, 300 and 400 mg/m2). Treatment was repeated every 4 weeks for a total of two cycles. Both hematologic and non-hematologic toxicities were generally mild. Grade 4 hematologic toxicity was observed in 12.5% and there were no grade III or IV non-hematologic toxicities. The optimal dose of carboplatin was determined to be 400 mg/m2. Among 16 patients, six showed complete response (37.5%) and nine showed partial response (56.3%), for an overall response rate of 93.8%. All 15 responding patients underwent radical surgery with a pelvic lymphadenectomy and postoperative radiotherapy. The combination of brachythe...Continue Reading

References

Jan 1, 1991·Gynecologic Oncology·P R DottinoC J Cohen
Jun 1, 1991·Journal of Clinical Oncology : Official Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology·L SouhamiT R Silveira
Sep 1, 1991·International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics·J J KovalicM A Lockett
Feb 15, 1988·International Journal of Cancer. Journal International Du Cancer·D M ParkinC S Muir
Aug 1, 1986·International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics·J A O'HaraR C Richmond
Oct 1, 1985·Journal of Clinical Oncology : Official Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology·S LeyvrazJ F Holland
Jan 1, 1982·Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology·A H CalvertK R Harrap
May 1, 1997·Gynecologic Oncology·E SerurJ C Remy
Jun 2, 1998·International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics·C A PerezM A Lockett
Jun 26, 1998·European Journal of Cancer : Official Journal for European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) [and] European Association for Cancer Research (EACR)·P Benedetti-PaniciS Mancuso
Nov 18, 1998·Annals of Oncology : Official Journal of the European Society for Medical Oncology·G ZanettaC Mangioni
Apr 15, 1999·The New England Journal of Medicine·P G RoseS Insalaco
Aug 17, 1999·European Journal of Cancer : Official Journal for European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) [and] European Association for Cancer Research (EACR)·J F TierneyM K Parmar
Nov 24, 1999·Journal of Clinical Oncology : Official Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology·L C WongD T Choy
Apr 14, 2000·Journal of Clinical Oncology : Official Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology·T C ChangY K Soong
May 1, 1993·International Journal of Gynecological Cancer : Official Journal of the International Gynecological Cancer Society·J.B. Vermorken

❮ Previous
Next ❯

Citations

Apr 16, 2011·European Journal of Surgical Oncology : the Journal of the European Society of Surgical Oncology and the British Association of Surgical Oncology·G GiordaE Campagnutta
Apr 8, 2015·The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews·Fani KokkaDavid Oram

❮ Previous
Next ❯

Related Concepts

Related Feeds

Carcinoma, Squamous Cell

Basal cell carcinoma is a form of malignant skin cancer found on the head and neck regions and has low rates of metastasis. Discover the latest research on basal cell carcinoma here.