May 30, 2020

Pneumococcal antibody protection in patients with autoimmune inflammatory rheumatic diseases with varying vaccination status

Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology
S L RasmussenC Rasmussen

Abstract

The aims of this cross-sectional study were to assess the pneumococcal antibody coverage in patients with autoimmune inflammatory rheumatic disease (AIRD) and to identify predictors associated with inadequate protective antibody levels. Antibodies to 12 serotypes occurring in the commonly applied pneumococcal vaccines in Denmark were measured in AIRD patients with a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis, spondyloarthritis, or psoriatic arthritis attending the Department of Rheumatology at the North Denmark Regional Hospital. Immunization against pneumococcal infection was defined as a geometric mean level ≥ 1 μg antibodies/mL. Clinical information about vaccination status and disease/treatment history was retrieved from the medical file system. Results of antibody measurement and vaccination status were available from 346 AIRD patients, of whom 200 (58%) were registered as receiving pneumococcal vaccination, whereas the remaining 146 patients (42%) were not. Of all 346 patients, only 61 (18%) were measured with an adequate level of protective antibodies (30% vs 1%, respectively). Methotrexate treatment at the time of vaccination and increasing age were identified as predictors of poor vaccination outcome in multiple logistic regres...Continue Reading

  • References
  • Citations

References

  • We're still populating references for this paper, please check back later.
  • References
  • Citations

Citations

  • This paper may not have been cited yet.

Mentioned in this Paper

Rheumatology Department
Study Population (Group)
Immunization
Immunization Programs
Logistic Regression
Pneumococcal vaccine
Study
Methotrexate
Diagnosis
Pneumococcal Infections

Related Feeds

Autoimmune Diseases

Autoimmune diseases occur as a result of an attack by the immune system on the body’s own tissues resulting in damage and dysfunction. There are different types of autoimmune diseases, in which there is a complex and unknown interaction between genetics and the environment. Discover the latest research on autoimmune diseases here.

Bacterial Pneumonia (ASM)

Bacterial pneumonia is a prevalent and costly infection that is a significant cause of morbidity and mortality in patients of all ages. Here is the latest research.

Bacterial Pneumonia

Bacterial pneumonia is a prevalent and costly infection that is a significant cause of morbidity and mortality in patients of all ages. Here is the latest research.