Prospective evaluation of the correlation between torso height and aortic anatomy in respect of a fluoroscopy free aortic balloon occlusion system

Surgery
Jonathan J MorrisonTodd E Rasmussen

Abstract

To report the lengths of key torso vascular and to develop regression models that will predict these lengths, based on an external measure of torso height (EMTH, sternum to pubis) in the development of a fluoroscopy-free balloon occlusion system for hemorrhage control. We conducted a prospective, observational study at a Combat Support Hospital in Southern Afghanistan using adult male patients undergoing computed tomography (CT). EMTH was recorded using a tape measure and intra-arterial distance was derived from CT imaging. Regression models to predict distance from the common femoral artery (CFA) into the middle of aortic zone I (left subclavian artery to celiac trunk) and zone III (infrarenal aorta) were developed from a random 20% of the cohort and validated by the remaining 80%. Overall, 177 male patients were included with a median (interquartile range [IQR]) age of 23 (8) years. The median (IQR) lengths of aortic zone I and III were 222 (24), 31 (9), and 92 (15) mm. The mid-zone distance from the left and right CFA to zone I were 423 (27) and 418 (29) and for zone III 232 (21) and 228 (22). Linear regression models demonstrated an accuracy between 99.3% to 100% at predicting the insertion distance required to place a cath...Continue Reading

References

Jun 1, 1989·The Journal of Trauma·B K GuptaG W Shaftan
Dec 1, 1986·Annals of Emergency Medicine·R B LowS Wolvek
Jul 11, 2006·World Journal of Surgery·Pradeep NavsariaAndrew Nicol
May 1, 2007·Journal of Vascular Surgery·Russell C LamPeter L Faries
May 25, 2007·Annals of Surgery·John B HolcombFrank K Butler
Aug 4, 2011·The Journal of Trauma·Brian J EastridgeLorne H Blackbourne
Aug 2, 2012·The Surgical Clinics of North America·Jonathan J Morrison, Todd E Rasmussen
Feb 22, 2013·The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery·Jonathan J MorrisonJeffery P Garner
Sep 18, 2013·The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery·Adam StannardTodd E Rasmussen
Aug 14, 2013·The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery·Daniel J ScottTodd E Rasmussen
Oct 4, 2013·The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery·Megan L BrennerTodd E Rasmussen

❮ Previous
Next ❯

Citations

Dec 20, 2015·The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery·Muzzafer ChauderyAra Darzi
Mar 10, 2016·The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery·Todd W CostantiniUNKNOWN and the AAST Pelvic Fracture Study Group
Mar 26, 2016·The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery·Jason N MacTaggartAlexey V Kamenskiy
May 19, 2016·The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery·Megan LinneburDemetrios Demetriades
Nov 3, 2016·Current Opinion in Critical Care·Zane B PerkinsKarim Brohi
Sep 7, 2018·Military Medicine·Jeremy CannonTodd Rasmussen
May 31, 2020·European Journal of Trauma and Emergency Surgery : Official Publication of the European Trauma Society·Suzanne M VranckenRigo Hoencamp
May 20, 2020·Trauma Surgery & Acute Care Open·Shokei MatsumotoTakashi Moriya
Jul 5, 2017·Scandinavian Journal of Trauma, Resuscitation and Emergency Medicine·Yohei OkadaRyoji Iiduka
Aug 10, 2020·Scientific Reports·Markus Harboe OlsenKirsten Møller

❮ Previous
Next ❯

Related Concepts

Related Feeds

Brain Ischemia

Brain ischemia is a condition in which there is insufficient blood flow to the brain to meet metabolic demand. Discover the latest research on brain ischemia here.