Relationship Between Pulmonary Hamartoma and Bronchus: Multislice Spiral Computed Tomography Findings

ResearchSquare
Ping WangChengzhou Zhang

Abstract

Objective The aim of the present study is to investigate the relationship between pulmonary hamartomas (PHs) and bronchi on multislice spiral computed tomography (MSCT) images. Methods The MSCT scans of 218 PHs from 216 pathologically confirmed patients were reviewed. The PHs were divided into two groups, namely, the central endobronchial and intraparenchymal groups, in accordance with location. Multiplanar reconstruction was used to demonstrate PH–bronchus relationship patterns. The PH–bronchus relationships in the intraparenchymal group were classified into five patterns: type I, the bronchus was cut off by the tumor; type II, the bronchus was contained within the tumor (air bronchogram sign); type III, the bronchus ran at the tumor periphery or was compressed by the tumor; and type IV, no tumor–bronchus relationship was observed. Results Nine (4.1%) PHs were assigned to the central endobronchial group and 209 (95.9%) PHs were assigned to the intraparenchymal group. In the endobronchial group, 1 (11.1%) PH was located in the trachea with the partial stenosis of the trachea, whereas the remaining 8 (88.9%) PHs were located in the lobar or segmental bronchus with the complete occlusion of the corresponding bronchus. In the intr...Continue Reading

Related Concepts

Trending Feeds

COVID-19

Coronaviruses encompass a large family of viruses that cause the common cold as well as more serious diseases, such as the ongoing outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19; formally known as 2019-nCoV). Coronaviruses can spread from animals to humans; symptoms include fever, cough, shortness of breath, and breathing difficulties; in more severe cases, infection can lead to death. This feed covers recent research on COVID-19.

Blastomycosis

Blastomycosis fungal infections spread through inhaling Blastomyces dermatitidis spores. Discover the latest research on blastomycosis fungal infections here.

Nuclear Pore Complex in ALS/FTD

Alterations in nucleocytoplasmic transport, controlled by the nuclear pore complex, may be involved in the pathomechanism underlying multiple neurodegenerative diseases including Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Frontotemporal Dementia. Here is the latest research on the nuclear pore complex in ALS and FTD.

Applications of Molecular Barcoding

The concept of molecular barcoding is that each original DNA or RNA molecule is attached to a unique sequence barcode. Sequence reads having different barcodes represent different original molecules, while sequence reads having the same barcode are results of PCR duplication from one original molecule. Discover the latest research on molecular barcoding here.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Chronic fatigue syndrome is a disease characterized by unexplained disabling fatigue; the pathology of which is incompletely understood. Discover the latest research on chronic fatigue syndrome here.

Evolution of Pluripotency

Pluripotency refers to the ability of a cell to develop into three primary germ cell layers of the embryo. This feed focuses on the mechanisms that underlie the evolution of pluripotency. Here is the latest research.

Position Effect Variegation

Position Effect Variagation occurs when a gene is inactivated due to its positioning near heterochromatic regions within a chromosome. Discover the latest research on Position Effect Variagation here.

STING Receptor Agonists

Stimulator of IFN genes (STING) are a group of transmembrane proteins that are involved in the induction of type I interferon that is important in the innate immune response. The stimulation of STING has been an active area of research in the treatment of cancer and infectious diseases. Here is the latest research on STING receptor agonists.

Microbicide

Microbicides are products that can be applied to vaginal or rectal mucosal surfaces with the goal of preventing, or at least significantly reducing, the transmission of sexually transmitted infections. Here is the latest research on microbicides.