The concurrence of dimensional aortic arch anomalies and abnormal left ventricular muscle bundles

Pediatric Cardiology
R J MoeneH Roozendaal

Abstract

This anatomical study was designed to evaluate the concept that reduced blood flow through the embryonic preductal aorta contributes to the pathogenesis of dimensional aortic arch anomalies. For that purpose the intracardiac anatomy of 151 specimens was examined, of which 22 had an interruption, five atresia, 76 tubular hypoplasia, and 48 local coarctation of the aortic arch. Associated malformations were found in 148 specimens (98%); the remaining three (2%) had isolated local coarctation. Anomalies predisposing to reduced aortic blood flow were present in 128 specimens (85%). Among the potential obstructive factors affecting early morphogenesis, three left ventricular muscular structures seem to be particularly important: (1) the anterolateral muscle bundle, (2) the posteromedial muscle, and (3) leftward deviation of the anterior part of the ventricular septum. Obstructing combinations with these types of anomaly were identified in 77 cases (51%). The embryologic aspects of these muscular structures are discussed.

References

Jun 1, 1977·The American Journal of Cardiology·R M FreedomR D Rowe
Feb 1, 1979·The American Journal of Cardiology·A C WeninkA J Moulaert
Jan 1, 1976·The American Journal of Cardiology·A J Moulaert, A Oppenheimer-Dekker
Jun 1, 1976·Circulation·A J MoulaertA Oppenheimer-Dekker
Oct 1, 1972·The American Journal of Cardiology·A M RudolphU Spitznas
May 1, 1974·British Heart Journal·E A Shinebourne, A M Elseed
Feb 1, 1971·The American Journal of Cardiology·R Van PraaghD C Fyler
May 1, 1969·Circulation·M LevR A Arcilla
Jun 1, 1959·The American Journal of Cardiology·G ROBINSONE S HURWITT

Citations

Jan 1, 1982·Pediatric Cardiology·A Oppenheimer-DekkerH Roozendaal
Apr 9, 2005·Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. Pediatric Cardiac Surgery Annual·Christo I TchervenkovRoss M Ungerleider
May 19, 2009·American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology·Diana BarbuRay O Bahado-Singh
Jul 28, 2013·Seminars in Fetal & Neonatal Medicine·A C Gittenberger-de GrootMonique R M Jongbloed
Jan 1, 1990·Pediatric Pathology·H S Rosenberg

Related Concepts

Descending Aorta
Aortic Valve Structure
Coronary Circulation
Ventricular Septal Defects
Left Ventricular Structure
Hemodynamics
Mitral Valve Stenosis
Muscle

Related Feeds

Aortic Coarctation

Aortic coarctation is a congenital condition characterized by narrowing of the aorta. Discover the latest research on this disease here.