The effects of KT3-671, a new angiotensin II (AT 1) receptor blocker in mild to moderate hypertension

British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
D PattersonT MacDonald

Abstract

To compare the antihypertensive effect, and tolerability and safety of once daily doses of KT3-671 with that of placebo in patients with mild to moderate uncomplicated essential hypertension. A randomised, multicentre, double blind, parallel-group comparison of KT3-671 with placebo. Hypertensive patients [Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitoring (ABPM), mean daytime DBP > 90 mmHg, Office sitting mean DBP 95-114 after a 7-28 day washout period] entered a 2-week, single blind, run-in phase. Patients eligible for the double-blind phase were randomised to receive KT3-671 40 mg, 80 mg, 160 mg or placebo once daily over 4 weeks. The primary end-point was trough mean sitting office DBP. The study had 90% power to detect a 5 mmHg change between treatments and placebo at the 5% level of significance. The secondary end-points were 24 hour, daytime and night time mean ABPM. Office DBP was significantly lower with KT3-671 40 mg but not the other 2 dosage groups (-3.2; 95% CL -6.1 : -0.3 P < 0.03). Office SBP was significantly reduced with all dosage groups (40 mg -5.9, 95% CL -11 : -0.9; 80 mg -4.9, 95% CL -9.9 : 0.1 and 160 mg -5.7, 95% CL -10.8 : -0.7 P < 0.05). All doses of KT3-671 reduced systolic and diastolic ABPM. The number of patients...Continue Reading

References

Jan 1, 1995·Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology·S MochizukiA Tomiyama
May 20, 1999·Journal of Human Hypertension·J L PoolM Gatlin
Feb 17, 2000·Pharmacological Research : the Official Journal of the Italian Pharmacological Society·Y TakataH Kato
May 30, 2002·The American Journal of Medicine·Mahyar EtminanPaula A Rochon
Dec 31, 2002·JAMA : the Journal of the American Medical Association·Erling TronvikGunnar Bovim

❮ Previous
Next ❯

Citations

Mar 25, 2008·Hypertension Research : Official Journal of the Japanese Society of Hypertension·Toshio OgiharaHiromi Rakugi
Oct 10, 2008·The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews·Balraj S HeranJames M Wright
Oct 18, 2006·The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics·Takashi IwanagaIkumi Tamai

❮ Previous
Next ❯

Related Concepts

Related Feeds

Antihypertensive Agents: Mechanisms of Action

Antihypertensive drugs are used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure) which aims to prevent the complications of high blood pressure, such as stroke and myocardial infarction. Discover the latest research on antihypertensive drugs and their mechanism of action here.